Today as a mother I feel I have come full circle, in the many aspects of motherhood and mothering. This morning Aidan was whining about his lunch and the food I packed for him. And I mean full blown 25 minute crying tantrum, slamming doors, screaming and yelling. If you know me, 1.) I hate whining and 2.) I gave him the stern talk of how most kids in this world do not get the privilege to eat a lunch their mother makes for them, and that he should be grateful. I took it a step further and got personal. I told him there were times I went to school not knowing if I was going to get to eat lunch (true story, not like the walking to school up hill both ways story, but ask my sister or our basketball coaches or Andi-she bought our lunches a lot). Part of me felt horrible as a mother, looking into his teary eyes, wondering if he will ever understand what it means to be grateful. Should I give in?? I was just fed up with his back talking, which I know is going to happen, but this battle I chose to fight. And perseverance won.
Aidan took his lunch to school. He told me this morning he wasn't going to eat anything all day and that he would just be hungry and I'm the meanest mom ever:) He also told me that if he got in trouble it was all my fault. I kindly replied to him as I consistently do, "Your actions are a choice Aidan. You can choose how you want to act and you can choose how you want to react." Man do I sound like one of those psycho-babble therapists or what, but I'm convinced it works and yes I do say these things to my children:)
I picked Aidan up from school today and he was rewarded for good behavior AND he ate his lunch. He jumped in the van smiling and told me how he walked into school in the morning and realized everyone may have good and bad days and today was going to be a good day for him. This may seem trivial to all of you reading this but as his mother I find this to be HUGE! I love this kid more and more everyday.
I know as a mother we are in a constant fight for our children's lives. There are so many factors out there that are constantly shaping and molding and guiding our children. As Aidan's mother, I'm here to help him with all of those factors in the early years of his life. I feel like today he was able to guide himself in the right direction. I'm so proud of you, my sweet precious, son.
No comments:
Post a Comment